Adventure to Discover
Happy Heart Month! February is American Heart Month… when we take care of #OurHearts as part of our self-care, we set an example for those around us to do the same. So this month is a perfect place to start and create my 1st Morning Routine for myself. I realize the importance of having one, but usually only have excuses for not doing it. Probably because of how much time I thought it would take and my overly anxious mind is constantly worried about the amount of time I have. So for the month of February I created a tracker and came up with easy goals to achieve. This tracker is a large circle divided by the number of days in wedges, each wedge is broken down by my individual goal.
My goals for my Morning Routine will start with the following:
1. Drink a glass of water
2. Take my daily vitamin
3. Move my body for 30 minutes
4. Take 10 minutes and breathe (meditate)
5. Daily mantra
When I create my weekly spreads for my Bullet Journal, I usually do one week at a time but for February I have changed things up. I designated space for a February calendar, a monthly goal list, my Morning Routine tracker and already have each week ready to go! This way I can have more time to spread love to myself and those around me. AND I am really eager to see how I am going to do this for the month and make plans for my time. Journaling and staying on track by having my bullet journal with me and already planned out, should lead to a happier/healthier heart.
For me some of my BIG monthly “to-dos” that are going on my list are ways to love myself emotionally, physically and mentally…
1. Visit my dad for his b-day, I see my dad only a few times a year so planning for this to happen takes a lot of effort on my part. If I add it to my list and put it down in my journal it WILL happen!
2. Create 14 Valentine’s and hand deliver them to as many as possible and mail the rest. Again, if I know this is a goal and have it added to my bullet journal ahead of time, I WILL make time for it.
3. I have selected to re-read, Loving-Kindness The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg. This book assists us with our longing to love ourselves more deeply and find a greater sense of connection with others.
4. And to get my body moving more. I honestly LOVE to exercise but this last year I have had limitations with access to my gym… which have become excuses which have led to weight gain which in turn, makes me love myself less… so it is time to get moving again, even if it is just 30 minutes a day.
If you have not started the journey of journaling that is okay! Remember, you do not have to start at the beginning of the year, month or week… you can start whenever you want, do not let yourself tell you otherwise. My Bullet Journal is a way for me to talk to myself and a way for me to listen to what I have to say and sometimes you need to be quiet to hear what you need, to have a healthy heart.
- Amy B.
I am an "unlikely hiker" writing about my adventures as I search for balance, love, and happiness.